Thursday, August 1, 2013

How To Avoid The Fumes When Cutting Hot Peppers

Last night I was concocting a dish using hatch peppers that my husband
had brought home. I did not think that they were going to be hot, so I
proceeded to split them open. When I cut into the first one, the fumes
came up, hit me in the face, and I immediately starting coughing profusely!
Now, this happened last summer when I was working with jalapenos, making
Jalepeno Cheese Boats, which are delicious, by the way, but I did not expect
this to happen with hatch peppers. I suffered through last year's  preparation
and asked for suggestions. One reader suggested using a portable fan, and a
friend suggested cutting them under running water. Someone else suggested
working with them outside. I appreciated all the ideas but I think I came up with
a better one last night!



I submerged them in a pan of cold water and sliced them while
they are under water. I removed the seeds, took them out,
and let them drain on a paper towel.

It worked perfectly!
No more fumes!

I hope it works for you too,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...