Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Book Club Adventure

About six years ago I decided to inquire about a notice I saw in our newspaper
advertising a  Contemporary Book Discussion Club for women that meet
once a month. I have always enjoyed reading and thought that by joining a
book club, I would have the opportunity to meet some interesting women and
be introduced to some types of books that I would not otherwise read.

I remember that first day when I arrived at a strange home and was greeted
by 12 friendly faces, none of which I knew. It was a little intimidating, but
I got through it okay. I even remember the book, one about Jimmy Carter.
Little did I know that the book club had been meeting since 1983 and that
all of the women were voracious readers!

Most of these lovely ladies are a little older than me--I would say six to eight
years. I don't have much in common with them other than a love for books,
certainly not political views, but that subject, as well as is religion,  is off limits!
Most have grandchildren, from infants to college age. I have none.

But I always come away from the two hours I spend with them each month
with a funny story or some bit of information from one of their life experiences
that I find interesting. Not to mention, a rousing discussion about a book I
probably would not have read otherwise.

Each May we chose the books for the entire next year. They are chosen from
various categories such as biography, travel, mystery, non-fiction, etc. Here is
our selections for June 2013 to June 2014.

  • Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
  • Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (I have read and highly recommend)
  • Company of Liers: A Novel by Karen Maitland
  • The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
  • Navajos Wear Nikes by Jim Kristofic
  • Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millarda  
  • Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bislands's History-Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman 
  • Lady at the O.K. Corral: The True Story of Josephine Marcus Earp by Ann Kirschner
  • My Beloved World by Sonia Solomayor
  • The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers
  • The Paris Wife by Paula McLain ( I have read and highly recommend)
  • The Orphan Master's Son: A Novel by Adam Johnson 
  • The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch  
 
"There is no friend
as loyal as a
good book."
--Ernest Hemingway


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...