Friday, May 24, 2013

Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Cookies

This is a recipe that I received from my husband's sister. She is a wonderful
cook, especially when it comes to baking. I made these cookies for a neighbor-
hood gathering many years ago and was told by one of the men that it was the
BEST cookie he had EVER tasted. I always remember nice compliments like
that, don't you?  It might be fun to pay the Smith's a surprise visit today with
a bag of cookies in my hand. I wonder if he'll remember them?

 
 
Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
 

2 cups butter or margarine
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
3 cups pre-sifted flour
2 tsp. baking soda
6 cups rolled oats (yes, 6--this is not a misprint)
1-1/2 cups flaked coconut

Cream shortening and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs. Beat well. Combine flour and baking soda and add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats and coconut. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes on greased cookie sheet. If you like your cookies soft and chewy,  8 minutes should be about right.  You want to take them out before they actually look done.

 Does it sound like any other cookie recipe to you so far?
 
Here's what make's them over the top--Add chunks of white chocolate to the dough--I used a
thick baking bar that I chunked up with a knife. You can also use the chips but I like chunks better. Or you can get the wafers that are used for candy making. Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry them. I also added some chocolate chips I had on hand and pecans, Macadamia nuts would be fabulous!

This makes a big batch and nothing goes better with them than a cold glass of milk! That is, if you like milk!

I'm not kidding--this is a really good cookie!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day Week-End!
 

Freebie Friday

 
Collection of 14 Memorial Day Printables @
 
View slide show and make your selections--
pinwheels, fill-in menus, buntings,
decorations, favors, cupcake toppers,
hot dog wrappers,
and more
 
Click on links to original sites. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...