Saturday, May 11, 2013

12 Pitfalls of Beginning Mah Jongg

This is a new Saturday series for As The Card Rack Turns dedicated to another one
of my passions--Mah Jongg.
I hope to bring my readers who also love the game, tips, insights, and
interesting conversation--on a fairly regular schedule (don't hold me to it)--
until I run out of ideas.
 
If you have questions about the game, please feel free to ask them in
the comment section or email me at 2realtors@cox.net
and I will do my best to answer them. 
I don't claim to be an expert, but I do know where to find the answers.
 
 
 
I have taught dozens of people to play the American version of Mah Jongg.
While doing so, I have identified the problem areas and most common
mistakes that beginning players have to overcome.
 
12 Pitfalls of Beginning Mah Jongg
  1. Trying to decide which hand to play.
  2. Forgetting that jokers cannot be used to make up a pair or used as a singleton.
  3. Not having a possible back-up hand in case your first hand does not work out.
  4. Giving up on your hand too soon and trying to switch to another hand.
  5. Using jokers too soon.
  6. Having trouble using different numbers in the consecutive run section other than the numbers used in the examples.
  7. Using the wrong dragon.
  8. Putting up the wrong number of tiles.
  9. Missing the chance to take a joker from someone's exposure when you draw the right tile to replace it.
  10. Committing on a hand too soon.
  11. Not racking your tiles.
  12. Exposing your tiles when you are doing a concealed hand.
Even seasoned players have trouble with some of these factors. Yet the sooner
you can master these stumbling blocks, the sooner you can focus more on the
defensive strategy of the game.

 
Happy Clicking!
 
If you know of anyone in the Phoenix area who is interested in learning to
playing Mah Jongg, please have them contact me at 2realtors@cox.net

1 comment:

  1. Happy clickingto youlsi! O glad we started payingand learning many moons ago. xxxoo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...