Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Jalapeno Cheese Boats

I seriously need your help!

I made this appetizer to take to a party recently and just
have to share it with you because it was so dang tasty!

However, there is only one problem...
the fumes from the jalapenos when I was cutting them in
halves to remove the seeds and membranes about killed me!
I was coughing and choking uncontrollably--the scarf I had
over my nose didn't help one bit.
Do you realize that is the same stuff they put in pepper spray? 
Capsaicin is the culprit.

I guess when you cut up one or two for a recipe it isn't so bad, 
but I was doing 12 of those puppies. 
If anyone has a solution, please share! 
One person told me to keep the sprayer going on the faucet and 
that will dissipate the fumes.
Any other ideas?
I goggled it and found lots of remedied for hand burns,
but the only solution for the fumes was offered by The Pioneer Woman.
You've all heard of the infamous Ree, haven't you?
She even has her own cooking program now.
Anyway, she said the only remedy was to flee the premises
and get fresh air! 

I guess I was pretty lucky my hands were fine,
considering I was more worried about the fumes
and didn't wear latex gloves (as if I had any.) 
Reading the horror stories,
I would recommend you wear gloves!
But if you do get burned, anecdotes include
rubbing alcohol, Vaseline, milk, sour cream, yogurt, and lemon juice.
And by all means, avoid touching ANY sensitive body part!

Anyway, here's the yummy recipe:

12 jalapeno peppers
1-8 oz. cream cheese
6-8 slices bacon
6 oz. Colby cheese--shredded (can use Monterey Jack, 
Cheddar, or combination)

Half the jalapenos, remove the seeds and membranes. 
Turn them upside down on a paper towel to drain while 
you mix up the filling. Fry bacon until crispy, press to
remove grease and crumble. Combine cheeses and add 
bacon. Fill jalapenos. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. 
Serve warm or room temperature.

Note: A variation is to keep the jalepeno whole and stuff
with the cheeses, then wrap the raw bacon around the
pepper. I thought this was rather cumbersome for an
appetizer, and the bacon never seems crispy enough.

Enjoy watching your friends gobble them up!

You will be surprised how mellow the jalapenos are
once they are baked. Those little rascals! We have a
love/hate relationship now.

Linking to:
Link and Greet #25 @ Country Momma Cooks

2 comments:

  1. Wow do those ever look good. I have never had that happen, but I have to say I don't chop up many jalapenos either. Mybe turn a portable fan on and direct it at your face with a window behind you open. Or do it outside :) I'm a big help aren't I ? I'll have to try them when I am no longer afraid to turn on the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie,
    That's a great idea. I will try that next time. Sounds like you may have had a bad experience with your oven. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...