Friday, June 1, 2012

The Advantages of Growing Perennials

My garden still needs a lot of work and I am by no means a master gardener,
but thank goodness for perennials. They are the only way to go! If you are
going to spend the money on plants, why not spend a little more and have
something that is going to come back every year? As they fill out, often times
they can be separated and then you have twice as many plants. Another
advantage is that many of them flower early so that you begin the spring
and summer with color in your garden.
Here's what I have so far.

The purple iris are early bloomers.
They are just about done.

 This is a Goblin Blanket Flower, or a Mexican Hat.
It is a low maintenance perennial and will bloom all summer
if you cut off the dead blooms.

Dianthus bloom all summer and a 6-pack of these does not
cost any more than annuals.
When I first put them in, I did not realize that they were perennials,
so it was a pleasant surprise next spring when I saw them!

Columbine--graceful, with lacy leaves, and
beautiful 2-tone color combinations.
One of my favorites.

  Caradonna Meadow Sage--This was getting
leggy, so I cut it back and am enjoying them inside.

My garden mascot that I bought at Beall's a 
few years ago for $3.00.
I love him even though my husband doesn't!

Freebie Friday

Printable bookmarks @ Call Me Victorian

Printable music tags @ Shoregirl's Creations

Vintage post cards @ Websters Home

Flower Basket Invitation @ Red Brolly

1 comment:

  1. I love your garden mascot. He's so cute and affordable too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...