Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Lavender Wreath


We have two lavender plants in our background,
and I thought it would be a shame if I didn't make
something out of the lovely blooms before it got
too hot.

I used a 10-inch double rail wire wreath and worked with
five sprigs at a time. I left about a three inch stem.
I started at the top of the frame--outermost wire--and tightly
wrapped the bunch to it, using a beading wire that I had on hand.
You have to wrap right up underneath the blooms,
because as they wilt they become limp and will just flop over. 

Taking the next bunch of five sprigs, I worked diagonally to
the middle of the wreath.
I am left-handed so I was turning my wreath clockwise--
working to my left each time.

The third sprig was wired to the innermost wire of the wreath--
diagonally to the left of the middle bunch.

Then I began the same sequence again, starting at the top.
The second bunch was placed to just cover the wire wrapping
from the bunch to the right of it.

Continue to work diagonally around the whole wreath.
Wire the stems along the way for reinforcement.

It takes a lot of lavender! 

This was created in several sessions, allowing the
lavender to dry in between times.

Caution:  Be careful not to rub your eyes when working
when lavender, it will irritate them!

Bay leaves were used for color and to fill in a few gaps.  

Linking to:
Sew Many Ways Crafting Party Week 65
I {Heart} Nap Time Sundae Scoop
Ladybird Lane Weekend Show-Off-Party
Debbiedoo's Newbie Party
Brassy Apple Make It Monday
C.R.A.F.T Making Monday Marvelous
Tip Junkie Tip Me Tuesday
Hope Studios Tutorial Tuesday
Lil' Luna Lil' Luna Link Party 77

7 comments:

  1. Your wreath is Beautiful! Someday I may have enough Lavender to make one. I planted 2 last year, but only 1 survived. Lavender is one of my favorites! I'm now a follower here~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous wreath! Love that you made this using your own home-grown lavender. Found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie Party. I'm happy to be now following. :-) Hope you have a terrific week!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is just wonderful. Love the smell of lavender. Thanks for sharing and joinin in on the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful wreath!!I bet it smells wonderful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Its too hot/humid for lavender here but I would love to be able to add it to my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wreath is lovely. I love the smell of lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lavender wreath is so pretty! (It would look great on my door.) Thanks for the tutorial. I don't have any lavender plants in my yard but maybe I can use something similiar. (Newest follower)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...