Wednesday, April 11, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons

I am fortunate that I have an abundant supply of lemons  at my disposal. My husband has 14 citrus trees in our backyard that he lovingly cares for. There is nothing like lemonade made with fresh lemons--it is one of the few times when I don't think about how much sugar I'm using! It's sooo tangy and refreshing.

    
Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade
1-1/2 cups sugar 
8-9 cups water
1-1/2 cups fresh lemon juice

Mix sugar and 1-1/2 cups water together in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and it comes to a rolling boil. The simple syrup should be clear. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to container and refrigerate for awhile.  Add remaining water and lemon juice and stir. Make ice cubes from some of it so as not to dilute when serving.


Kitchen Tip:  With extra lemon juice, pour in ice cube trays and freeze.


Store in ziploc baggies and use in salad dressings, marinades, or any recipe
calling for a small amount.
        

  Then....with the lemon "shells".......

here's an idea from My Roman Apartment --
Get your seedlings started--then plant the whole thing.



Or use them as lemon cups for your sorbet...



Awesome Articles


"I believe when life gives you lemons, you should
make lemonade and try to find someone
whose life has given them vodka...
and have a party."
--Ron White

4 comments:

  1. NOTHING beats the fresh smell of lemons! I am sooooooo jealous you have a bunch of trees! You can ship me your extras :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FRESH Lemons! Awesome. I will definitely be making some lemonade with store bought lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donna, I forgot how refreshing fresh lemonade taste...seriously thinking about running to the store to pick up some for this evening!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...