Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Do I Want to Be When My Blog Grows Up?


That is the question I am being challenged to confront today. Many of us are sharing our thoughts through a link party. Oh, I think about that question a great deal, but I have never been good at actually writing down my goals. But you know the old saying, "If you never do anything different, you will never get any different results." So I am stepping out of my comfort zone and attemping to verbalize what it is that I wish to accomplish as a blogger.

My blog started out in January 2011 as a card making blog, which is the reason I choose that title AS THE CARD RACK TURNS. But because I have always loved all kinds of crafts and discovered so many other interesting projects, I have become more of a general craft blog with an emphasis on card making and papercrafting.  I worry that I am trying to choose too large of an audience. But I love it all!

First I had to be clear why I decided to blog. I gave it a lot of thought prior to actually making the commitment. 

1. I always need a project. It keeps me focused, especially now that I am retired. Having a blog would be an ongoing project.
2. I  love crafts and this would give me a reason to make some of the crafts that I would not make otherwise. I just enjoy working with my hands.
3. Being a part of the blogging world just seemed like a great way to meet new people who had the same interests as me. I loved the sharing and caring feeling I think is there throughout the community.
4. I hoped that others would like what I had to share. I hoped to find acceptance, validation, and an enthusiastic following.

The first three goals have without a doubt been accomplished from the very beginning. The fourth one is the hardest, as I never thought it would be this difficult to attract an audience. I see hundreds of followers on other blogs and dozens of comments and wonder what I am doing wrong. But then I think--I am only one little fish out there in a big sea. Maybe if I knew how to Twitter and understood the importance of Facebook and figuring out ways to get Likes, that would help. But I'm really not interested in doing all that.  

Everyone says it just takes time, so I just hope to continue making my blog better and better by:
1. Choosing informative, interesting, and relevant topics and projects--Ideas that I think other women would be interested in.
2. Making my blog more attractive--I have no HTML skills, so I have to rely on outside sources for any design upgrades and changes, which I have been hesitant to do. But I can improve my photography and writing skills.
3. Being realistic--A lot of the projects that I see are things that I made when I was a lot younger and had little ones at home like so many of these energetic bloggers who have such a huge following. I've been there, done that. and now I am at a different stage in my life. So what I have to offer is not going to appeal to a lot of ladies who follow blogs and I must understand that.
4. Share myself with you and hope that I will be deseving of your friendship.

I thank each and every one of you who spends  a few moments of your day with me. I cannot tell you how it make my heart purr!

Linking up to these party hosts:
The Cottage Market
Primitive and Proper
Adventures of Our Family
Thistlewood Farms
The Space Between
Eclectically Yours
Stay at Home-ista
Bliss Ranch
Top This Top That
It All Started with Paint

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I read all your blog posts and I'm not much of a commenter. Even though I do enjoy reading your blog,all the stuff interests me, the fact that it's not just scrapbooking and cardmaking keeps it interesting. I will do what I can to try and comment more often as I understand how it feels to read encouraging comments because I had my own blog at one point. I just couldn't keep up with it. You do a wonderful job and you should be proud!!
    Hugs, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - I feel the same way! When I lose a em follower my mind is always asking WHY?? What am I doing wrong blah blah blah...
    I am trying to get to the point of well at least they read it! I read blogs -- I am awful at commenting! In fact, YOU have gotten 2 comments from me in the last 2 days! HA! Be thrilled about that~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such admirable blog goals! My first and foremost goal it to love what I do ...

    ... and our friendship is a given. This is am amazing and comforting and welcoming and encouraging blog genre ...

    So thank you so much for doing a bit of soul searching ... and sharing your hopes and dreams and fears ...

    We are here for you. We are your cheerleaders!

    And so happy you linked up to our link party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for linking up to the party :) Your goals are incredible. I especially like being realistic when it comes to projects! Perfect. So many projects are just easier to look at then to do :)

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is amazing how much HTML one can learn. All of your goals are wonderful.

    Thank you so much for linking up to our party!

    Happy to be a new linky follower,
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...