Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Masculine Birthday Card

Creating a masculine card is not always the easiest task, but I think that this card will qualify. The patterns in the papers sort of remind me of something you might see in a men's tie. Agree?

   
Since the card was 5-1/2 inches wide, it was easy to just cut
all the strips 1/2 inches wide.
Instead of running adhesive down each strip, I ran double-
sided tape horizontally--three lines if I remember correctly.
Then if necessary, I adhered the ends down.  

I started on the left side--since I am left-handed--that seems more natural--
and worked my way across.
I could see  about halfway that the strips were getting a little "wonky" and I wasn't
going to end up right, so then I started working in from the right.
You do have to be careful and place then before you adhere them down.

Tip: Stamp the sentiment FIRST in case you mess up and have to start
over on a new piece of cardstock.
No sense going through all that trouble only to ruin it at the very end
and have to find a way to salvage it.

The sentiment is from a retired Stampin' Up set and I cannot
even tell you the name of it.
It has a coordinating sentiment for the inside.

The paper is from a retired Stampin' Up designer pack also.
This is a great way to use scraps, one of my favorite things to do!

I finished it off with a piece of black twine from a spool that
I got at an upholstery store eons ago.

Edited 2/29-- I noticed today that this card was perfect for the challenge over at
Less is More this week, so you can find it there along with many others that are using scraps.  

"Those truly linked don't need
correspondence. When they meet
again after many years apart their
friendship is at true as ever."
--Deng Ming-Dao

Do you have a friend like that?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    Such a great way to use up your scraps, and a card that would be perfect for anyone:)
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment.
    Isn't it amazing how we find stamps we haven't used for years and they still look good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty card, perfect for both men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect styke for a masculine card. Not too much white space but terrific design!
    Great use of scraps too
    Thank you very much
    mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a super card Donna and your strips don't look the slightest bit wonky!
    Great tip about stamping the sentiment before sticking things down... I've had to do that for a long time as my stamping isn't always great on the first try.
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. Just goes to show how important it is to keep the bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your man's tie design Donna - a lovely mix of patterns! Thanks for the tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a mega cool card! Great!

    LG Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use strips of DSP.
    Thanks for the comment on my Mixed Bunch card.
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card and an idea I'll be copying! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Donna, great use of your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those DS papers certainly do give a very masculine feel when used in small strips and it was one of my favourites from SU. A fantastic card for a man.

    Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...