Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mah Jongg--Have You Heard Of It?

Mah Jongg is a wonderful game played with tiles that is gaining more and  popularity among all age groups. What I love about it is that unlike bridge, you do not have a partner, so you do not have feel beholden to another person if you make a mistake. You're on your own and no one has to know if you make an unwise decision--you either recover or are just glad to get that game over with and move on to the next!

It's takes a certain level of concentration and there is strategyy involved, but you can still enjoy yourself and socialize to some extent during the game. Typically the game is played with four people, but it can also be played with three.

The object of the game is to be the first player to use 14 tiles to make a mah jongg hand, one of many which are printed on a card. Once a year, a new mah jongg card comes out, so you play with this same card throughout the year. Some people even take their mah jongg card with them on a cruise, hoping to get a game going with others on board.

I enjoy teaching mah jongg very much and delight in seeing others appreciate the game as much as I do. I just completed teaching a series of four classes with a group of six lovely ladies in Litchfield Park, located west of Phoenix.



If you enjoy games, you might want to look into mah jongg.
Check with your community center, library, senior center,
golf club, or online to see if there are any groups in your area.

If you live in the Phoenix area, feel free to email me


     

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,

    Heard of it, play is as much as I can and am totally addicted!

    It certainly seems to be gaining in popularity.

    Susan
    (one of the mah jongg doctors!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I always look forward to your blog posts!

      Delete
  2. Hi Donna.

    Love the game! I grew up in Scottsdale and learned the game alongside my mother when I was a teenager. We have a Mahj marathon with every visit. Are you attending the Valley of the Sun JCC viewing of Tiles that Bind on Feb. 23rd? Since I live in SF I won't be able to make it but looks like a fun afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anything about this event. I will see if I can find out more about it. If you have any info about it, I'd love if you would email me. Thanks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...