Monday, October 3, 2011

Spaghetti Squash is in Season

I don't know what I was thinking on Friday when I said that I would have the tutorial for printing on ribbon ready to show you on Saturday! Wishful thinking, I guess. Nothing ever goes that smoothly when putting together a picture tutorial, I should have known. But I do think it will be up by tomorrow!

In the meantime, I do have a delicious recipe to share with you today. It is a good time to make this as spaghetti squash is in season. We had it at a friend's home and liked it so much that I served it for company two days later, accompanied by garlic bread and a salad.


Baked Spaghetti Squash

1 medium spaghetti squash
12 oz. bulk Italian sausage (I used 8 hot Italian sausages--sliced in small rounds)
1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium green or red sweet pepper, chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small can chopped pitted black olives (optional)
1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoing--or more
1 jar purchased red pasta sauce of choice
1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or Italian blend cheese
1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian parsley

Halve squash crosswise, remove seeds. Place cut sides down in 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high power 13-15 minutes or until squash is tender when pierced with fork. Rearrange once for even baking. In a large skillet cook sausage, mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Drain off fat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scrape pulp from squash (about 3 cups). Wipe out baking dish, coat with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half the squash in dish. Add half the sausage mixture and half the olives. Sprinkle with seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Top with half the sauce and half the cheese. Top with remaining squash, sausage, olives, and sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

This is even better the next day!

New to My Pin Board...
How to Make a Dress Form Mannequin Pin Cushion from DIY Dish which I received today.  It has been repinned several times--maybe you would like to see it too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,

    I love your recipe, sounds so yummy!

    Hugs,
    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your Tupperware lids organized in a dish drainer! I copied your idea and included it in a post on my blog about kitchen organization (I took my own photo).

    http://www.alittlelessmeat.com/2012/09/kitchen-organization.html

    Getting the kids ready for school is such a joy when I can easily grab the right lid!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...