Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How to Make Homemade Granola

UPDATED 10/2013

My favorite breakfast is plain organic yogurt layered with homemade granola. It not only tastes delicious, but is good for you too. Here's how to do it::

1. Choose ingredients of choice from the bulk bins at the grocery store. I chose oatmeal, raw cashews, raw almonds, pepitos, unsweetened coconut (2013--started using coconut flakes.curls), and dried apricots. I use about two cups of each, as I would rather make it more often and have it fresh.
2. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, except for the dried fruit. Coat lightly with coconut oil, no more than 1/4 cup. (This is a change I made in 2013 from from olive oil and it adds a wonderful flavor! Good for you too.)
3. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
4. Add honey--1/4 to 1/2 cup--depending on your preference of sweetness. Coat everything well.
5. Lay out on a cookie sheet and bake in 200 degree oven for 2-4 hours, turning often. Watch it closely!



6. Once it has browned nicely, but not burned, turn out on a towel to cool. Mix in dried fruit and store in airtight container. I cut the apricots in small, bite-size pieces.
(2013--I also add dried cranberries now.) 




Homemade granola also makes a wonderful gift for your health-conscious friend.


Enjoy!


I'm going to the linky parties to share this recipe.
Click on the top tab and visit them too
for other great ideas.    

2 comments:

  1. You have some lovely ideas here, but I’ll definitely be trying out the homemade granola; I Think we call it ‘Muesli’ and it’s slightly different.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...