Beef Tenderloin with Peppercorns
2 tsp. cracked black peppercorns--rolling pin is good for this
2 beef tenderloin steaks
2 T. butter
1 tsp. flour
salt and ground pepper to taste
2 tsp. butter
1/3 cup half & half, light cream, or whole milk
1 T. horseradish mustard
1. Sprinkle cracked black pepper evenly over both sides of each steak; press in with your fingers.
2. In a heavy 8-inch skillet, melt the 2 T. butter over medium high heat. Add the steaks; cook, uncovered, to desired doneness, turning once. (If steaks brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium.).
3. Allow 10-13 min. for medium rare (145degrees F.) to medium (160 degrees F.).
4. While steaks are cooking, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan, melt the 2 tsp. butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, and dash of black pepper. Add half and half all at once. Cook and stir for one minute. Stir in horseradish mustard. Remove from heat.
5. Spoon sauce over prepared steaks . Serve with vegetables and potato of choice.