Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Spotlight's On.....

Roxie Glaza

For those of you who follow Splitcoaststampers, you undoubtedly have run into Roxie's name, or surely her cards. She is known there as Rox71. A retired landscape designer, Roxie cleverly named her blog Paper Scaper, which she began last year in June. 

She hosts the Wednesday Sketch Challenge on SCS and has filled that tall task for over five years. Can you imagine what it takes to come up with a new sketch every week? She presents it with descriptive detail, creating at least one card of her own in which she includes the dimensions of all the elements of the sketch. Her card is always over-the-top gorgeous--containing various techniques which she thoroughly explains there and on her blog. Here is an example of last week's card which brought a mere 65 comments in her gallery.

Here are five reasons why I am so inspired by Roxie's creations:
  1. Her attention to detail is incredible, both in her blog design and her cards. Her blog is very pleasing to the eye, and she is consistent in the format of every post.  She presents a lovely card every time and then goes into an explanation that anyone can follow as to how it was created. No guesswork--it's all there for you, and stampers who are not as creative as Roxie (most) appreciate that!  
  2. Although she has a certain style, there is a lot of variety in her cards. One of my favorites is this Victorian Shoe  and another is the Acrylic Block Watercolor. Both very different, both very well explained.
  3. On the right sidebar of her blog, she has some excellent tutorials. I was very excited to see the Wavy Sponged Sky tutorial because I loved her card with the bird on the branch when I first saw it.This was one technique that I could not figure out from her explanation. I actually did give it a try and it turned out miserably. Apparently, there were others who had trouble as well--thus, the reason for the picture tutorial. Thanks, Roxie.
  4. She always makes an envelope to match her card. and puts it in the photo. The quality of her photos are very sharp and clear, and when she is explaining something, often takes a close-up or more than the average number of photos. This Easter Lily card is a perfect example. I love the lace look and know that I can do it now that I have carefully read her explanation. 
  5. You know that I am a practical gal, and I think Roxie's cards are beautiful, yet practical. Although I love the way large bows and puffy flowers look on cards, I just hate the thought of finding special packaging to make them mailable. Roxie's cards don't contain those tyes of embellishments that would be a problem. They are typically made beautiful with embossing folders, Spellbinder shapes, flat brads, lovely-colored main images, and if flowers, they are the flatter type. Just my kind of gal! 
I recognize that Roxie is truly an artist and obviously I am not the only one. I see that currently she is a member of three design teams, and that is an honor not to be taken lightly.

Thanks, Roxie, for stepping
into my spotlight today.
It was a pleasure
having you
here.

7 comments:

  1. Oh fabulous Spotlighting! I adore Roxie's cards and the way she ALWAYS utilizes different techniques. She is awesome at the "how to's" Great choice this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the spotlight Donna, what a nice jesture to our follow bloggers and stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoy Roxie's cards and visiting her blog, and seeing her wonderful tutorials. When I needed help and gave her a PM at Split Coast Stampers she replied to my message and gave lots of good ideas and inspiration. She is an inspiration to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxie, your cards are beautiful, I always go to your gallery to view them. Thank you so much for sharing all your talent! Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anyone deserves to be spotlighted, it is Roxie! Not only is she talented, but very generous and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxie is just a wonderful artist, and friend. I have learned so much from her blog, and when needed, her helpful comments.

    You selected a wonderful person to highlight!
    Hugs, Pat Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful tribute to Roxie! It really warmed my heart to see another stamper step outside of herself and put the "spotlight" on someone they admire. You must be a pretty special person yourself, and, if you don't mind, I just may follow your lead! By the way, I do agree with everything you wrote about Roxie!! She is a true artist and gives a lot of herself to others.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...