Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Wave of Nostalgia

Monday I ventured into a quilting store while I was waiting on some prescriptions that were being filled near by. I had been meaning to go there for quite a while, but just hadn't taken the time to stop.

I wanted to inquire about having my 40-year-old Kenmore sewing machine tuned up as I am thinking of dabbling in some sewing projects again. It has served me well over the years. I made teaching clothes when we were first married, maternity clothes, toddler clothes, mother-daughter outfits, Halloween costumes, and my son's first "big boy"  pin striped polyester pants and vest. In later years, I could not have done without it for alterations, hemming, and crafts projects.   

The memories really started  flooding back when I saw a dusty basket behind the counter made with rope wrapped with strips of fabric coiled in a circle. Yes, I had made those! Then I recalled my first quilted piece. After I had caught on to the technique, I had moved on to my one and only patchwork quilt. I remember the tedious task of choosing coordinating fabrics! The patchwork Christmas ornaments and potholders, stuffed Christmas trees and pumpkins--yes, I did it all.

The fabrics are as gorgeous as ever, just not as countryish--a sea of beautiful hues and patterns, each color range in its own cubicle. I wanted to go over and look at the patterns so badly, but I knew I had better not! For if I did,  I would have been too tempted to leave with a purchase that I did not need! I worked my way to the front door as quickly as possible..... without hardly even touching any of the fabric at all.

I made this card a while back when I had scraps on my desk, and I thought this would be a perfect time to show it to you. I'll stick to paper quilting for lack of space if for no other reason at all.

I started with a white 4" square and three 1-1/4" black/gold squares
 which had been run through the Zyron so were sticky on the back.
The first square was affixed dead center.
I used a T-square to assist me in keeping everything in a straight line,
both horizontally and vertically.
The other two squares were cut in fourths.
This will give you the eight triangles you need
for the points of the star. (Try to be careful in lining up the points.)
Once I had everything where I wanted it, I ran the piece through the Cuttlebug,
using the Textile embossing folder.
I layered it onto a 4-1/2" square, then a 4-3/4" red square.
I added the label (Spellbinder) and sentiment(SU) with twine. 
The white card base was from a pre-made pack by DCWV. 
I liked that it had embossing around the edge.


I have always told my friends with young children--live in the moment
and savor the memories of their childhood,
for it is all over before you are ready for it to be. 
Even your craft projects will wait. 
Time in park or library hour
will mean much more in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...