Thursday, April 14, 2011

Peeps in a Jar AKA Bunny Brownies


When I saw this little gift on No Fuss Fabulous I thought it was so unique I had to make one to show you. I used to can tons of green beans, pickled beets, and tomatoes back in Illinois, but those days are long gone. Although I don't miss all that work, I really miss those fresh veggies. I have given all my canning jars to my daughter. In fact, I just recently found a dusty box in the attic and gave it to her on her last viist. Urg, do you ever do that? Save something forever, then finally get rid of it, only to have a use for it come up soon after?? But who ever thought I would be making Bunny Brownies?

I thought I was being so clever and tried using a spaghetti sauce jar as it really is just a canning jar with a narrow mouth. Everything was going great until it came time to put in the bag of crushed graham crackers. It doesn't fit, so don't try it!  Hello new canning jars--I'm sure I'll find a use for you now that I'm crafting again.

Actually, this would be a great gift for any holiday that has decorative marshmallows. I saw Christmas trees in the grocery store the other day--10 bags for $1, but resisted the deal. I thought they would be hard as rocks by next December.

What a cute teacher's gift this would be. Bet they don't get too many Peeps in a Jar.

Here's how I put mine together. I made a few changes:
  1. Put 1-1/4 cup Easter M&Ms in the bottom of a quart-size wide mouth canning jar.
  2. Take 8 Peeps Marshmallows and line them up around the jar. I kept two together and did that on all four sides.
  3. Measure 1/3 cup light brown sugar (packed) into a small plastic bag and put that down in the middle on top of the M&Ms. I used a small Wilton treat bag but a baggie would probably work too. It fit nicely. 
  4. Crush one sleeve of graham crackers in the blender and put it in a baggie. Lay it on top of the Peeps.
  5. Make a fabric skirt for the cover. I used a 6 " circle (Cool Whip lid) so you could still see the graham crackers at the top of the jar. Trace the circle on the back of the fabric and cut out. Using pinking shears is optional.
  6. Cut a circle out of acetate or transparency paper the size of the flat lid.
  7. Download and print the label  HERE.  Cut out.
  8. Position the skirt over the flat lid, then the label, and finally the clear circle. Screw the ring on tightly.
  9. Copy the recipe and attach it to the jar with twine or ribbon.
                                         Bunny Brownies
  • Empty the jar contents into a bowl.
  • Snip the bunnies into bits with kitchen shears or cut up with a knife.
  • Return the bunny bits to the mixture.
  • Mux well.
  • Melt 1/2 cup butter; add 1 tsp. vanilla.
  • Pour over the dry ingredients, mixing well.
  • Put into a 9" greased square pan.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes
  • Cool and cut into 9-12 bars. 




Now are any of you wondering what these taste like?
I was, so I whipped up a batch. They were a breeze to put together
and came out of the pan easily.



And I will say that they were very tasty.
I wouldn't change a thing!

I read on someone's blog that you could leave the peeps whole
and lay them on top of the mixture instead of cutting them into bits.

But somehow the idea of charred bunnies just did not appeal to me.


For more Easter Cookies and Treats, head on over to Mom's Crazy Cooking and see all the delectable entries from kitchens all over America. 



12 comments:

  1. Am I missing something? It looks like the only dry ingredients are graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anoymous,
    You missed the melted butter and the vanilla. Scared me! I thought maybe I forgot to put it in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same Q as anonymous. No flour required?? perhaps they are dense and flat - no eggs?? Just checking. You did make them but want to be sure. I have my list. Oh and I know you can buy already crushed graham do you know what the measurement would be if bought already crushed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so festive and adorable! Thanks for the recipe and fabulous idea! I think I am going to have to give it a try. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazingly cute idea. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your brownies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy,
    Sorry I'm slow to respond but I've been away. You can kind of see in the picture that it really turns out like a chewy bar--yes pretty flat. Don't make them up ahead as they get hard after about two days. I did not think to measure the crumbs but a sandwich-size bag full just fits nicely on top of everything. I will remember that for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'd love to invite you to come on by and link it up, if you wish to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS "Easter Cookies & Treats"

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever tried roasting peeps? To Die For!!!
    Cute Blog. CareyCottage.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it too late to download the printables? This is a darling idea for us "grandmas" when the kids come and we need a craft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I see that the link is broken so I checked on Loralee's website which I refer to and she no longer offers them to us. I'm so sorry. If I find them anywhere else I'll put it on my blog. I need to learn how to make printables myself so I don't have to rely on others. It's on my list. Wish I were a grandma put my children are not cooperating. You're blessed.

      Delete
  10. money online :

    http://finance.uni.me/?post-bu.html

    http://znakomstva.uni.me/?pictures-en.html
    http://dating.xaijo.com/?new-gt.html

    search first midwest bank trade dubbler stocks sales life insurance quote uk braccialini borse collezione primavera estate 2009

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...