Monday, April 18, 2011

Chit-Chat

I'm back from  visiting my daughter and SIL this week-end. They are building a home in Gila Hot Springs, NM and we went over for a work week-end.  We did everything from pouring concrete to applying microscopic nemotodes on the garden. It is a wonderful little community where friends and neighbors come together to help each other, sort of like barn-raising. It was hard work but fantastic.

Welcome new subscribers and followers. I'm excited to see you! Please feel free to leave a link to your blog anytime you want. That is what this is all about--networking, sharing information, and having fun doing it

Book Update
We reviewed The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present last Wednesday at book club. Gail Collins takes you through a comprehensive account of the last five decades of women's history focusing mainly on the 60's and the baby boomer generation. Of course you hear about the impact of  famous people like Betty Frieden and Gloria Steinem, but more interesting are the vignettes telling of the struggles of ordinary women. 
We all agreed it was an important read as it shows you just how far women have come, and still need to go.
It is definitely material for a women's studies course. 

This is by no means iintented to be a review of the book. It is just a brief overview to give you some idea what is between the covers.

The first question the discussion leader asked was "How many loved it and how many found it a chore to get through?" The majority loved all 409 pages. I, however, am a slow reader who needs to learn where and when to skim, so I found the author wordy. I thought she could have moved along each subject a little faster, but that is just me! If you were born after 1980, you have no idea what it took to accomplish many of the freedoms you take for granted. 
If you like to hunker down with good material, this is a great read.   

Since I've been traveling, I thought I'd add these: 
Travel tips:
1. If you're going on a road trip and bringing your pillow, put a colored pillowcase on it. You'll be less likely to leave it behind wherever you spend the night.
2. Even if you don't plan to take your cell phone for whatever reason, it is nice to have it to check the time if you don't wear a watch.
3. As soon as you get home, make a list of the things which would have been helpful to have. Put it somewhere you will remember for your next trip. Mine is a few velcro rollers since my curling iron broke in India.
4. After emptying your suitcase, air it out outside in case there are any tiny critters in there. Pillow too!  


I was going to talk about mah jongg, but this post is long enough and late, so I'll do that later in the week.
Back to cardmaking too! 

Hope your day is going great. 


"My friends are my estate."
--Emily Dickinson

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...