Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thinking and Re-Thinking

Good Morning.

Recently I have spent quite a bit of time just cruising the internet--discovering one amazing blog after another. Several of them have been cooking blogs with fantastic pictures and recipes for awesome-looking cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and candy. I even printed off a few, just in case I ever have a need for 30 chocolate- dipped cupcakes or coffee can bon bons. What are the chances of that happening??

Then there are the sewing and quilting blogs. I am always amazed at the generosity of these women who share their patterns and ideas, most of the time for free. Last week I got so excited I printed off an adorable pattern for reversible fabric baby shoes before I even knew it. Me--who is never going to have  grandchildren! (sniff, sniff.)  Don't get me started! The sweet onesie dress you can make in ten minutes was another temptation, and then there was the quilted cover for a water bottle which was so cute and colorful.

I am in awe of these creative women. I continue to wonder how it is that one person can 1) come up with all these ideas, 2) make these works of art--literally, 3 ) take gorgeous pictures of them and 4) write a interesting post for their blog for hundreds of subscribers and followers to enjoy. Each task in itself is time- consuming, and they do this every day or at least several times a week. Then--they still must find time  for their families and some of them have jobs to boot! Do they have more hours in their day than I do?

Now I admit, I did some of these things when I was a young mom. I remember making eggrolls from scratch, tons of handmade Christmas ornaments, needlepoint Christmas stockings for our two children, and canning oddles and gobs of green beans and tomatoes. I sewed a lot for myself and our daughter, pickled beets and made zucchini relish, cross-stitched, and loved doing crafts with the children. I still get nostalgic when I see moms in Michael's with their kiddos. I guess any of those activities would have made good blogging material too!

But, my life is different now and how can I ever compete with these women? I am in a different field--papercrafting--but there are just as many fantastic rubberstamping blogs. Outstanding tutorials and projects, elaborate cards, sketch challenges, you name it. Does anyone have time to read one more little blog that has just entered the field--so late in the game?

Then, I realized that much of what I see on the internet is very entertaining, but is not practical. There are tons of creative, clever ideas and projects out there, but which ones are " do-able" to the everyday busy woman who loves a creative outlet but has a lot of other things going on in her life? This is the question I ask myself when I am looking for ideas that I think are "worthy" of being passed on to you. You see, if it is not my original idea, I am certainly not going to take credit for it. So I have decided to keep plugging along and fill my blog with practical content, hoping that eventually a whole lot of other people will realize that practical can still be fun, clever, and creative.

I have decided to tweak my tagline just a bit so that it reads:  A World of Practical Ideas for Creative Women.   

1 comment:

  1. WONDERFUL post!!! And so true. You said everything I think about and am in agreement with you. I'm retired now and have time to do this craft and wonder all the time how young people manage to accomplish it all.....yet I look back and think - hey, I used to juggle crafts, children and work too!
    Anyway, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...