Saturday, March 12, 2011

SATurday Show And Tell

Today's Show and Tell takes a new turn. I'm showing you something that I'm doing in my kitchen today.

Our backyard is loaded with citrus trees and I have more lemons than I know what to do with! I wish I could share them with those of you who have to buy them in the store for almost a dollar a piece. Lemon season is coming to an end here in AZ, so they are very ripe and falling off of the trees. I must find ways to use them, and as you know, you don't need very many lemons to make any one thing.


I have limoncello brewing in the closet and will share that with you when it is finished! But even for that, you only use the zest and not the juice. I have frozen a lot of juice in ice cube trays and other containers, then popped it out, and put it in plastic bags for future use.

There have been times when I have had plenty of  frozen juice, but a recipe also called for the zest. So I decided to grated zest and freeze it in ice cube trays--1 tsp. zest with 2 tsp. juice--to have for future use.  


I popped them out and put them in a freezer bag. Now I just have to label it before I put in it in the freezer so I will remember what's inside. I'm bad about that sometimes. 

Don't you love desserts that are easy but it's all in the presentation? I am hoping this will be one though it hasn't been fully executed yet! I'm planning ahead.

I juiced 12 of the best looking half lemons and then reamed out all of the pulp. I sliced off the bottom so that they were flat and would stand up straight. 

I fitted a few of them inside each other, wrapped them tightly with clear wrap and foil, and sealed them in freezer bags.  

I don't know yet what I will fill them with when the time comes to use them, but I imagine it will be some type of sherbet or ice cream made with my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. I will be sure to let you in on it when the time comes this summer!

Friends of the Earth wrote a great article on  40 Handy Lemon Tips  for natural cleaning solutions and beauty remedies. According to my dermatologist, lemon juice is the best thing for aging spots. Forget those expensive creams! (You heard it here.)

One more thing, a few weeks ago I urged you to enter the give-away for Colby Kettle Corn. Well, I did, and out of 383 entries, I was 1 of 2 winners. This box arrived in the mail yesterday!



12 bags of popcorn--gluten free (Tom, it's here when you return), white cheddar, and cinnamon sugar.
So don't think you can't be a winner, because you can!

My husband wants me to buy lottery tickets today.  
  

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...