Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My First Tutorial--Ruffled Ribbon

I did some cards  a few weeks ago where I used this technique and I was asked to do a tutorial on it. So here goes! It is generally called ruffled ribbon in the stamping world.


I decided to add a white strip that I ran through the Cuttlebug down the left side of the card to use as my guideline. You can also use a pencil line as I have previously done.

The double-sided tape I am using is from The Rubber Cafe --
Scor-Pal and Stampin Up both sell other brands, as well as stamp and scrapbook stores.

Choose ribbon that is only slightly wider than the tape. The tape I am using is 1/4". 

Run a strip of the tape along your guideline, then remove the protective top layer. I have not yet remove it here so that it is easier to see in the photo. 


Starting at the top, firmly press the ribbon onto the tape, leaving a decorative tail. If you are working on a piece that you are going to layer onto a card base, you could tape the ends to the back.


 Make a loop in the ribbon, then press it again onto the tape. If you make the loops big, you will have big ruffles--small loops will makes small ruffles.  

 It is easiest to use both hands--loop and press, loop and press. Angle some to the left, some to the right, some straight up.

 MAKE SURE YOU ARE PRESSING THE RIBBON ONTO THE TAPE, NOT  ONTO THE BOTTOM OF THE LOOP YOU JUST MADE ABOVE. .PRESS FIRMLY.
It will look something like this when you are done.
It's very easy and is a different way to add ribbon to your card.

I hope that I have made myself clear in my directions! If there are any questions, please let me know.

EDITED--If you find that the ribbon is popping off, run a thin line of glue down the tape. I am going to do this from now on, considering the wear and tear on the card as it goes through the mail. It will just require that you hold each ruffle a little longer as you make it. You could use the point of the scissors to hold it in place.

"Authentic female friendship
is when we allow another woman
to see our core, go to our core,
and risk sharing our souls."
--Sue Monk Kidd

11 comments:

  1. This is a great tutorial. GOOD job , especially since first one. The pictures with directions were very clear and easy to understand. Can't wait to try it! First have to get double- sided tape.
    This is one of my favorite ideas for ribbon and glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SO MUCH for that! I've seen so many cute creations with this technique and just never have tried it! This will help me so much now. I kept trying to use glue dots = and that was just not happening at all!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna!
    Thanks a bunch for the great tutorial! I have seen this technique too, on various folks cards, etc. and wondered how they did it.. Can't wait to give it a try.
    Shannon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable!! Thanks for the tutorial... I'll have to try that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ribbon using glue for better hold.
    looking forward to more tuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute, easy way to add ribbon!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such adorable tutorial!
    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a brilliant idea- so classy and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tutorial ... I have not thought of doing that thank you for the information.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow its pretty cool idea. I like it.

    Sudha
    sudha-kalra.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...