Thursday, February 10, 2011

Yet Another Challenge

It's been a busy week but I'm back now. Yesterday I led the discussion at my monthly book club and I always dread when that day comes around once a year. I feel so inadequate because I am not nearly as well-read as the other ladies in the group. I never feel that I have enough material to discuss the book for two solid hours. The book was The Postmistress by Sarah Blake. It made for a good discussion because some liked it better than others. I would say that the general concensus was that it was an ok read and had some compelling parts, but that overall, we would not recommend it to our friends. There are too many other great books out there, such as The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. If you have not read that yet, you should!

The challenge I tackled today was from Mark's Finest Papers. You have until tomorrow at 3 PM Eastern Time to make a card with a self-made flower--so no flower stamp can be used. Find another way to make a flower. I got busy with my small and large oval punches from Stampin' Up and came up with this:


  • I started with a pre-made card from a pack by DCWV from Michaels.
  • The strip is also cut from one of these pre-made cards.
  • Ric-rak is from a long pack but it no longer has the label.
  • Center of flower is made with small oval punch.
  • Leaf and petals are made with large oval punch.
  • Sponge edges of center and petals.
  •  Cut stem free-hand. 
  • Stamp sentiment from PaperTrey Ink--Green Thumb  on paper;
  • then punch it out with SU label punch.
  • Assemble card, overlapping petals of flower.
  • Pop up label with pop dots. Place Floral Accent (Spellbinder) behind it.

Tip: It is much easier to first stamp the image or sentiment on paper, then punch it out or use a die cut--than the other way around.  That way, it is always positioned correctly on the paper.  


                                                         A friend may well be reckoned
                                                               the masterpiece of nature.

                                                                    -Ralph Waldo Emerson                                          
                                                                                                                                      







5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful!! AND so very creative.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! That is one awesome card!!!
    Thanks for sharing it with us at Speedy's Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and fun! Love those papers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great self-made flower! Thanks for playing along with Speedy's Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cards! they always motivate me to do something with my stash!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...