Saturday, January 29, 2011

SATurday Show And Tell

Today's post is late because I just returned from a retreat at the Franciscan Renewal Center in Scottsdale. I have been a member of our church for 25 years but this is the first women's retreat that I have attended. The book that we read for the retreat was An Altar in the World, by Barbara Brown Taylor. A lot of the discussion was about showing gratitude, living with purpose and intention, learning to say no, taking time to do nothing, living in the moment--you get the idea--things we women often don't take the time to do.

The setting was beautiful and serene, and we had time to do some exploring. This is what I discovered.



Have you ever seen a labyrinth? It is a kind of maze laid out in a perfect circle. It can be made out of stones or painted on the floor indoors. It has one entrance and leads to one center, including switchbacks and detours, just like life.




Although there are directions at the entrance, there is no right or wrong way to walk the labyrinth. It trusts those who enter it will stay on the path voluntarily. The path goes nowhere. What is important is the journey, and that is all up to you.

The author relates a story that a friend told her about an experience she had while walking a labyrinth. A man and woman, after standing near the entrance for about twenty minutes, walked straight to the center and bowed their hands in prayer. Then the woman took off her shoes, handed them to her husband. along with her purse, and took the long way out of the labyrinth, following the path this time. While holding down the center, he cried just watching her. They had come to celebrate the end of the woman's treatment for breast cancer, they explained when asked. 

They had never even heard of a labyrinth before that day, but had been drawn to walk it. The woman said "I began to feel at peace in my body again after being very angry that it had let me down." She found herself remembering
all the people who had helped her during her worst time.
It was a very healing experience and one of gratitude.



Today I walked the labyrinth to honor and in gratitude of our amazing daughter.

Hug the ones you love.

   

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for choosing me at Becca's Share the Wealth and visiting me!

    I'm so glad that you were able to go to the retreat. I've been on a number of them myself. They are always so uplifting, bringing just the renewal I need :)

    Have a fabulous week, Donna!

    Love and hugs ~ Lori

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...